macOS is a quite popular operating system. I never had an opportunity to work with it prior joining to VMware. From my point of view, Apple makes brilliant hardware and software (with one exception of Finder in macOS). At the moment I am running Windows 10 as a Bootcamp and I am quite happy how it performs. However, there are situations when one would like to evaluate the different operating system. Let it be any Linux flavor or an even exotic system like BSD you can all run them in VMware Workstation. What about the Apple macOS? Unfortunately in VMware Workstation running on Windows by default you can’t run Apple macOS.
For Mac you'd have to install VMware Fusion. It's a pretty simple installation, just like how you install other applications. Once installed the GUI of Fusion is pretty much similar to the VMware workstation used on Windows.
- VMware Workstation Player VMware Workstation Player is an ideal utility for running a single virtual machine on a Windows or Linux PC. Organizations use Workstation Player to deliver managed corporate desktops, while students and educators use it for learning and training. The free version is available for non-commercial, personal and home use.
- Disconnect internet after installing ´VMware unlock´ and continue with the installation and configuration of Mac OS until the ´disk utilities´ window delete as the tutorial says, go back and before ´install mac os´ in the top tab, change the date in the command console, because the certificate is expired; put ´date 18´, go.
- Installing VMware Tools. Install VMware Tools for macOS running on a VMware VM to improve the performance and user experience. When you apply the unlocker patch for VMware Workstation, a darwin.iso image with VMware Tools for macOS is copied to a VMware Workstation directory.
Today I will show you how to install Apple macOS in VMware Workstation on Windows.
Before doing any changes please make a backup and remember that changes done aren’t supported by VMware.
Vmware For Mac
In order to run macOS in VMware Workstation on Windows, we will need two things: macOS iso and VMware Workstation Unlocker.
To convert macOS dmg file under Windows we will need a tool dmg2img.
- Copy macOS dmg file to dmg2img folder.
- Open command prompt and type
dmg2img macOSfilename.dmg desiredISOname.iso
That’s it 🙂
VMware Workstation Unlocker fixes/improves few of missing features in VMware Workstation on Windows:
- Fix vmware-vmx and derivatives to allow Mac OS X to bootFix vmwarebase .dll or .so to allow Apple to be selected during VM creation
- Fix vmwarebase .dll or .so to allow Apple to be selected during VM creation
- Fix libvmkctl.so on ESXi 6 to allow use with vCenter
- Download a copy of the latest VMware Tools for OS
Probably there are some reasons whyVMware decided to remove macOS compatibility in Windows VMware Workstation. Anyway, let’s enhance our VMware Workstation with new capabilities.
- Download VMware Workstation Unlocker from GitHub https://github.com/DrDonk/unlocker.
- Once downloaded extract it.
- Run command prompt with administrative privileges.
- Run win-install.bat script.
- After few seconds VMware Workstation will be patched.
- When you will create new virtual machine macOS will be available.
- We must edit virtual machine configuration file vmx and add following entry
smc.version = '0'.
- Once added we can run macOS in VMware Workstation in Windows.
Install Vmware Workstation For Mac Installer
In Today post I showed you how to install Apple macOS in VMware Workstation on Windows. The process isn’t that complicated and certainly will help some people out there who might want to try out Apple macOS.