Calligra Office Suite for Mac OS. Calligra Office is a free and open source app that’s based on the Qt Cross-platform software development. It comes with more apps than LibreOffice app, but it has limited features available. If you need an easy-to-use Office app for Mac with a clean design and simple interface, then Calligra Office is the. The first is to buy a subscription to Office 365 which lets you use the latest full versions of Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook on your PC as well as on any tablets or smartphones you own. Evernote is the undisputed king of note-taking apps, and for good reason. It’s simple, organized intuitively, and syncs with just about any web-based service you can imagine.
Hello everyone, how are you all doing today? I hope you are all having a great Sunday. My Saturday wasn’t good and my Sunday isn’t any better, but that’s life sometimes right? I think I will be alright lol, anyway read on…
Today we are focusing on the best Microsoft Office replacements on Mac. Why? Well not everyone likes MS Office and it’s apps including Power Point, Excel or even Microsoft Word so for those people, and those who simply can’t afford Microsoft Office, we have decided to list some good alternatives for those of you running on OS X. I personally recommend you check out at least 3 choices before you make a decision, all of these apps are great or rather good enough.
Can I run Microsoft Office in OS X?
Yes, you can actually run Microsoft Office on a Mac! Not too long ago, Microsoft never bothered to translate their popular software for Apple’s Mac users mainly because Apple is still their #1 competition. But now since Apple pretty much dominates the phone market, MS had no choice but to start porting their software to work on Apple. MS office is already available for iOS and it is now available Mac OS X. But forget about all that, lets look at the Office 365 alternatives for Mac.
#1. Download Google Docs For OS X
Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides are productivity apps that let you create different kinds of online documents, work on them in real time with other people, and store them in your Google Drive online, all for free. You can access the documents, spreadsheets, and presentations you create from any computer, anywhere in the world. (There’s even some work you can do without an Internet connection!) This guide will give you a quick overview of the many things that you can do with Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides.
What Is Google Docs?
Google Docs is an online word processor that lets you create and format text documents and collaborate with other people in real time. Here’s what you can do with Google Docs:
- Upload a Word document and convert it to a Google document
- Add flair and formatting to your documents by adjusting margins, spacing, fonts, and colors — all that fun stuff
- Invite other people to collaborate on a document with you, giving them edit, comment or view access
- Collaborate online in real time and chat with other collaborators — right from inside the document
- View your document’s revision history and roll back to any previous version
- Download a Google document to your desktop as a Word, OpenOffice, RTF, PDF, HTML or zip file
- Translate a document to a different language
- Email your documents to other people as attachments
This is my personal favorite Microsoft Office alternative because it literally has everything MS Office has and also it works perfectly fine online. What more can you ask for?
Google Docs Screenshot
#2. Download LibreOffice For OS X
Install LibreOffice For Mac
LibreOffice is a powerful office suite; its clean interface and powerful tools let you unleash your creativity and grow your productivity. LibreOffice embeds several applications that make it the most powerful Free & Open Source Office suite on the market: Writer, the word processor, Calc, the spreadsheet application, Impress, the presentation engine, Draw, our drawing and flow charting application, Base, our database and database front-end, and Math for editing mathematics.
LibreOffice is compatible with many document formats such as Microsoft® Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher. But LibreOffice goes further by enabling you to use a modern open standard, the OpenDocument Format (ODF).
• Enterprise hardened through relentless independent testing
• Stable six-monthly release cycle of feature updates
• Backported key features from LibreOffice Vanilla
• Improved OOXML file support (.docx, .docm)
• Enterprise-wide: one Office suite common to your entire environment
• One app serving as a complete suite, does the work of six apps
• Includes advanced word processor, spreadsheet, and presentation software
• Reads and writes Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint files (including OOXML)
#3. Download Apache OpenOffice For OS X
Apache OpenOffice is free to download, use, and distribute. Download it now, and get:
- Writer a word processor you can use for anything from writing a quick letter to producing an entire book.
- Calc a powerful spreadsheet with all the tools you need to calculate, analyze, and present your data in numerical reports or sizzling graphics.
- Impress the fastest, most powerful way to create effective multimedia presentations.
- Draw lets you produce everything from simple diagrams to dynamic 3D illustrations.
- Base lets you manipulate databases seamlessly. Create and modify tables, forms, queries, and reports, all from within Apache OpenOffice.
- Math lets you create mathematical equations with a graphic user interface or by directly typing your formulas into the equation editor.
Why Apache OpenOffice?
Apache OpenOffice is synonymous with quality:
- The roots of Apache OpenOffice go back twenty years, creating a mature and powerful product
- Many millions of users
- Independent reviewers around the world have recommended the product
- With a fully open development process, Apache OpenOffice has nothing to hide – the product stands or falls on its reputation.
- The software looks and feels familiar and is instantly usable by anyone who has used a competitive product
- It’s easy to change to Apache OpenOffice – the software reads all major competitors’ files
- Few language barriers – if it’s not yet available in your language, the chances are it will be soon
- Apache OpenOffice is supported by a global community of friendly volunteers, happy to provide assistance to newcomers and advanced users alike
Apache OpenOffice Screenshot
#4. Download Keynote For OS X
Install Keynote App on Mac
Easily create gorgeous presentations with the all-new Keynote, featuring powerful yet easy-to-use tools and dazzling effects.
The Theme Chooser lets you skim through an impressive collection of 30 new and updated Apple-designed themes. Once you’ve chosen the perfect canvas for your presentation, simply replace the placeholder text and graphics with your own words and images. Easy-to-use tools let you add tables, charts, shapes, photos, and videos to slides—and bring it all to life with cinematic animations and transitions that look as though they were created by your own special effects team. Animate your data with new interactive column, bar, scatter, and bubble charts.
Use iCloud to keep your presentations up to date across all your devices. You can instantly share a presentation using just a link, giving others the latest version and the ability to edit it directly with Keynote for iCloud beta from www.icloud.com using a Mac or PC browser.
With Keynote, you have all the tools you need to make an amazing presentation quickly and easily.
Get started quickly
• Choose from 30 Apple-designed themes to give your presentations a beautiful start
• Use the slide navigator to quickly skim through your presentation, add new slides, and reorder slides
• Engage your audience with new interactive charts and chart animations
• See live on-canvas previews as you animate your slides
• Use gorgeous preset styles to make your text, tables, shapes, and images look beautiful
Keynote App Screenshot
#5. Download ThinkFree Office For OS X
Install ThinkFree Office for Mac
ThinkFree Office is the most accurate MS Office-compatible productivity suite on the market today. Use ThinkFree Office to create word processing documents, spreadsheets, and graphic presentations, or open and edit Word, Excel, and Powerpoint documents in ThinkFree Office. You will be amazed by our faithful recreation of the Office user interface — new users are immediately productive.
- ThinkFree Write: is a powerful word processing application that has all the features you expect with the same look-and-feel you already know. Create rich, professional-quality documents and web pages. Write’s seamless compatibility lets you to share documents and collaborate with MS Word users.
- ThinkFree Calc: lets you create spreadsheets just as you do with MS Excel™, or open and edit existing Excel files. Calc has every feature Office users expect and allows you to tackle the most complex analytical tasks
- With ThinkFree Show: you produce the same high-impact presentations as Powerpoint. Use existing .ppt files, templates, and animations, or create compatible presentations from scratch.
ThinkFree Office Screenshot
Remember to like our facebook and our twitter @macheatdotcom.
Other macOS alternative software: Best Photoshop Alternatives on Mac, Best BitTorrent Apps on Mac & Best Mobile Device Management Apps
In computing, an office suite is a collection of productivity software usually containing at least a word processor, spreadsheet and a presentation program. There are many different brands and types of office suites. Popular office suites include Microsoft Office, Google Workspace (formerly G Suite), Apache OpenOffice, and LibreOffice.
Multi-platform office suites
Free and open source suites
- Apache OpenOffice (descended from OpenOffice.org)
- Calligra Suite – the continuation of KOffice under a new name
- LibreOffice – independent fork of OpenOffice.org with a number of enhancements
- ONLYOFFICE Desktop Editors – an open source offline edition
- Giggle Computer Suite - an open source productivity suite
- Google Workspace – has applications like Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides
- MobiSystems OfficeSuite – available for Windows, Android and iOS
- SoftMaker Office – The current edition is available for a fee; a slightly feature-limited version is distributed for free under the name 'FreeOffice'. Available for Windows, Linux and Mac(2018)
- Hancom Office Suite & ThinkFree Office - Available for Windows and Mac.
- WPS Office– Free and complete office suite, includes writer, spreadsheet, presentations, enjoys the features of small-size, easy-to-use and compatible, covering multiple platforms including Windows, Linux, Android, iOS and Mac
- Yozo Office (formerly EIOffice (Evermore Integrated Office)) – a Polish / English / Japanese / French language integrated office suite. Available for Windows / Linux operating systems using Java
Office suites for Microsoft Windows only
- Breadbox Office – DOS software, but has been successfully tested with Windows 3.x, Windows 95/98/98 SE/ME, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000 and the 32-bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7
- Framework – historical but also still supported for Windows by the present developer, Selection & Functions Inc.
- Gobe Productive – Originally written for BeOS by developers of the original ClarisWorks, GoBe Productive is a lightweight integrated Works-like office suite with a generous 'Hassle-Free License.'
- Ichitaro JUST Suite 2008 – a full Japanese-language suite from JustSystems, the most direct competitor to Microsoft Office in Japan. For Windows only.
- Microsoft Office – Note that while Microsoft makes both a Windows and Mac version of Office, the Windows only version is named just Microsoft Office and has a slightly different feature set than the Mac version, which is named 'Microsoft Office for Mac'. While both are part of the MS Office family, they are separate programs, as the Mac version is not simply a port of the Windows version. (see Office suites for Mac OS X only section below).
Free and open source suites
- Giggle Computer Suite - an open source productivity suite
Office suites for DOS
- Breadbox Office – a word processor, spreadsheet, address book and drawing program. It is part of a broader software package called Breadbox Ensemble which also includes programs such as email, web-browser and HTML editor. Breadbox Ensemble runs under the GEOS (16-bit operating system) and effectively requires a version of DOS to be installed on the host system.
- Corel WordPerfect for DOS – a word processor, spreadsheet, and presentation software from Corel (containing WordPerfect 6.2, Quattro Pro 5.6, Presentations 2.1, and Shell 4.0c)
Office suites for macOS only
Open source suites
- NeoOffice – a Mac-specific open-source software development project dedicated to integrating LibreOffice with native features of macOS, in addition to an aesthetic and design language suited to said operating system. While the source code is available for free, developers charge for the binary version of this application.
- iWork – Apple Inc.'s Mac-only office suite. Includes Pages for word-processing, Numbers for spreadsheets, and Keynote for presentations. iWork replaces the now-discontinued AppleWorks suite.
- MarinerPak – MarinerPak includes Mariner Write, a fully featured word processor, and Mariner Calc, a fully featured Spreadsheet application.
- Microsoft Office for Mac – Microsoft's office suite for macOS. Since Microsoft Office for Mac 2011, the suite requires an Intel-based Mac.Prior editions ran on both PowerPC systems and Intel based systems using Rosetta.
Office suites for Unix/Unix-like operating systems only
Free software suites
- AUIS – an office suite developed by Carnegie Mellon University and named after Andrew Carnegie
- Siag Office – a free office suite for Unix systems. Primarily written by programmer Ulric Erikkson, with contributions from other authors. Includes a word processor, a spreadsheet, and an animation program.
Mobile and tablet office suites
Office suites for Android, BlackBerry, iPhone, Symbian, Windows Mobile, Windows Phone, and others. Used in smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices.
Open source suites
- LibreOffice for Android – currently under development led by The Document Foundation, Smoose, B.V., and Collabora
- AndrOpen Office – a non-official port of Apache OpenOffice for Android
Is Office For Mac Good
- MobiSystems OfficeSuite (Android, iOS and Windows)
- Microsoft Office Mobile (Android, iOS and Windows Mobile/Phone)
- Documents To Go (Android and others)
- Google Workspace – Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides
- iWork (iOS)
- WPS Office, Free and complete office suite, includes writer, spreadsheet, presentations, enjoys the features of small-size, easy-to-use and compatible, covering multiple platforms including Windows, Linux, Android, iOS and Mac
- QuickOffice, QuickOffice HD Pro (Android, iOS and others)
- ThinkFree Office Mobile (Android)
Online office suites
- Google Docs suite – Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides – an AJAX-based online office suite from Google. The suite includes a word processor, a spreadsheet program, and a presentation editor. Available free and as the enterprise service Google Workspace.
- ONLYOFFICE Personal – online office suite; combines text, spreadsheet and presentation editors
- Office Online – online office suite from Microsoft which is based on OneDrive. It includes a word processor, a spreadsheet, a presentation application and a notetaking program. Allow users to create, edit, save and share documents.
- Zoho Office Suite – free online office suite from Zoho Corporation. Includes a word processor, spreadsheet, presentations, and collaboration groupware.
- iWork for iCloud – a free-to-use but somewhat feature-limited online version of Apple's iWorks office suite, accessible using both Mac and PC web browsers.
Open source suites
- Feng Office (formerly OpenGoo) – open source, fully featured online office suite. The application can be downloaded and installed on a server.
- LibreOffice Online – currently under development led by The Document Foundation, Collabora and IceWarp with a projected initial release in the beginning of 2016.
- ONLYOFFICE Community Server – open source online office suite that can be downloaded and deployed on a server
- Tiki Wiki CMS Groupware – full-featured web application, which includes a spreadsheet and webmail
- ONLYOFFICE – online office suite integrated with document and project management toolset and CRM system. It includes a word processor, spreadsheet and presentation program written in HTML5 using Canvas.
- ShareOffice – Web-based office suite from ShareMethods. This suite utilizes separate word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation applications from other vendors. It is distributed through Salesforce.com's AppExchange program.
- Simdesk – online office suite from Simdesk Technologies, Inc. This suite offers partial compatibility with the Microsoft Office file formats (Word, Excel, and Powerpoint). With a monthly subscription to Simdesk Services (costing $3.50 – $20 per month), one is allowed to install the application anywhere. (no longer available)
- ThinkFree Office – office suite written in Java, from ThinkFree, Inc. It includes a word processor (Write), a spreadsheet (Calc), and a presentation program (Show). For Microsoft Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X.
Discontinued office suites
- AppleWorks was released for the Apple II in 1984, then rewritten as ClarisWorks for the Apple IIGS (1988) and Macintosh (1991). ClarisWorks continued as AppleWorks after being bought by Apple, and GoBe Productive was developed using ideas from the original. Apple discontinued this suite after the release of iWork '08 in August 2007.
- IBM Lotus SmartSuite – for OS/2, Windows 9x, NT, 2000 and XP.
- IBM Lotus Symphony – freeware; based on OpenOffice.org
- IBM Works – an office suite for the IBM OS/2operating system. It included word processing, spreadsheet, database and PIM applications.
- Jambo OpenOffice, an abandoned project to translate the OpenOffice.org project into Swahili.
- Lotus Jazz – Mac sister product to Lotus Symphony
- Lotus Symphony – Following the popularity of office suites made by competitors, the makers of the wildly popular Lotus 123, tried their hand at a suite for DOS. (Name resurrected by IBM in September 2007 as IBM Lotus Symphony)
- Microsoft Works – discontinued in 2009 and replaced by Microsoft Office 2010 Starter Edition. 4.0 is the last version for Mac.
- Open Access – integrated software by Software Products International (SPI)
- Q&A – featured a flat file database whose 'intelligent assistant' could answer natural language questions, and integrated word processor
- StarOffice – discontinued except as part of paid Solaris licenses; continued as open source suite OpenOffice.org, which subsequent versions of StarOffice were based on
- ^'OfficeSuite'. www.officesuitenow.com. Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- ^'NeoOffice FAQ'. Neooffice.org. Retrieved 2017-01-10.
- ^'Installing Office for Mac 2011 error 'This software requires an Intel-based Macintosh computer.''. Microsoft Support. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- ^MacTech Editorial Staff. 'Office 2004 Benchmarks on Intel-based Macs'. MacTech. Retrieved 2008-04-06.
- ^'LibreOffice Viewer Beta for Android Is Now Available for Download'. Softpedia. Retrieved April 13, 2015.
- ^Sam Tuke (April 21, 2015). 'LibreOffice for Android: Prototype Editor Preview'. Collabora LTD. Retrieved April 21, 2015.
- ^'MobiSystems' OfficeSuite makes the jump to Windows PC'. Windows Central. Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- ^Simon Phipps. '4 keys to success for LibreOffice as a service'. InfoWorld, Inc. Retrieved April 13, 2015.
- ^Sam Tuke (March 25, 2015). 'LibreOffice Online Questions Answered: What, Who, How, and When'. Collabora, LTD. Archived from the original on April 15, 2015. Retrieved April 13, 2015.
- ^Evans, Jonny (2007-08-15). 'Apple cans AppleWorks'. Macworld UK. Retrieved 2007-08-15.
- ^'New Ways to Try and Buy Microsoft Office 2010 Microsoft Office 2010 Engineering'. Microsoft TechNet. Retrieved 16 January 2016.